Whose pipes are whose responsibility?

Who's responsible for the pipes?

To help you to maintain your pipes, and know what to do in an emergency, it’s important to know which pipes you’re responsible for.

In a nutshell: if the pipes are within the boundary of your property (even if underground and external), they are your responsibility to maintain and fix.

If you want to know a bit more

There are three kinds of pipe:

  • Water mains (these are the large pipes that carry water around the network, and are owned by the wholesaler)

  • Communication pipes (the pipes that carry water between the mains, and the property boundary, and are the wholesaler’s responsibility)

  • Supply pipes (the smaller pipes that carry water from the wholesaler’s pipes to the property. These are the property owner’s responsibility)

It’s a bit easier to follow from a diagram

The top arrow shows the point at which the pipes become the property owner’s responsibility to maintain and fix. The bottom arrow shows where the pipes are the responsibility of the wholesaler.

Property boundary and water pipes

If you notice any leaks, it is important that these get fixed as soon as possible. If they’re on your property, you’ll need to contact a plumber to arrange for a fix. You can find an approved plumber in your area here. If the meter itself is leaking, or if there’s a leak on a mains pipe, you’ll need to contact your wholesaler’s emergency number. You can find that here.

To keep up-to-date with similar posts, advice, industry news and Everflow Water updates, follow us on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.

Featured Posts